So this is what I made for tonight’s dinner. It is a recipe that I adapted from Southern Living some time ago. The original recipe called for a pound of Italian sausage, but since I don’t really like that taste, I went with the smoked sausage (and I already had it in the freezer). It cooks a little quicker than the Italian sausage since it is actually already cooked. Also, you can use the Parmesan cheese from the can, but I have started buying the wedge of Parmesan and grating it myself. I can’t believe how much better tasting that is than the canned type or even the pre-grated kind in the tub! It has a much more intense flavor. This whole meal comes together very quickly which makes it perfect for a week night meal!
Spaghetti with Sausage & Peppers
Yield: 4 Servings
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 (1-lb.) package smoked, sliced into thin pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium-size red or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Prepare pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat for approximately 5 minutes.
Remove sausage and drain well on paper towels.
Saute onion, peppers, and garlic in the hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
Stir in tomatoes, salt, and pepper; cook 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Stir in sausage, pasta, and cheese. Transfer mixture to serving platter, and serve immediately.