Quite often, my family spends Thanksgiving week at my sister’s house in Missouri. Jan is a great cook and has shared a number of recipes with me through the years. We usually arrive on Tuesday evening and stay until Friday or Saturday. Since we spend all day cooking together on Wednesday , Jan usually has a couple of casseroles prepared for our evening meal. This year, she had made lasagna and Mexican Chicken Casserole. I thought is was so delicious that I had to have the recipe!
This casserole is pretty spicy due to the Rotel tomatoes and Spicy Doritos, but it can be toned down by sticking to plain Nacho cheese chips. It can also be prepared with chicken or turkey which makes it a good way to use up some those holiday leftovers!
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (may also use leftover turkey)
- Small onion, chopped
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, sliced (I used the new white Queso Velveeta)
- Hot & Spicy Dorito chips (Nacho cheese Doritos are fine if you like it milder)
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
Place chicken in bottom of 9×13 pan.
Layer cheese all over this.
Lightly crush Doritos and place half the bag over chicken & cheese.
Mix soups & Rotel tomatoes, then pour over chips.
Add remaining chips to the top.
Bake at 350 °F about 20-30 minutes till hot and bubbly.