Last week, I did a post on Pimento Cheese Spread that generated a few comments. Among those, a lady mentioned that she remembered her mother-in-law making the pimento cheese as well as ham spread by the “dishpan” full. I had just about forgotten ham spread or as we called it, “ham salad”. As I read that post to my husband, he immediately asked for me to make it soon. It just happened that I had some leftover pieces of ham in my freezer, so I made it that evening.
I had forgotten just how good it was! The spread is delicious made into a sandwich on fresh, soft bread. It’s also really good as an appetizer spread with crackers. It had been so long since I had made it, that my children did not even know what it was. After trying it, they all agreed that they really liked it and I should make it again!
- 2 cups cooked ham, chopped finely or ground in food processor
- 2 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
Combine all ingredients together, mixing well.