Last Sunday, we had a potluck dinner after morning worship services. Since I was taking several dishes, I wanted to try out a few new recipes. I figured these cookie bars were a pretty safe choice and I was right! I came home with a clean dish! There were dozens and dozens of desserts there, so you know these bars were pretty tasty. 🙂
The recipe called for a devil’s food cake mix, but I just had German chocolate. I would think any chocolate mix would work just fine. How can these bars not be good when it is chocked full of chocolate, pecans, coconut, and of course sweetened condensed milk? That stuff is absolute gold in making the absolute BEST desserts!
- 1 box German chocolate or devil’s food cake mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter and egg, and press into the bottom of the prepared pan. The crust should not come up the sides.
- Bake for 7 minutes and remove from the oven. The crust will not look done.
- While the crust is baking, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, egg, pecans and coconut.
- Pour evenly over the warm crust and sprinkle evenly with the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 24-30 minutes, until the top is a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares.
Adapted from: Paula Deen