How many chicken casserole recipes does one need in their stash of recipes? It is my opinion that I can’t have enough! I LOVE a good chicken casserole! They’re great for family meals and of course perfect for the church potluck! They can be mixed up with various kinds of pastas, rice, or chips. So many possibilities! Among my favorites are Creamy Chicken Casserole, Spicy Dorito Chicken Casserole and Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole. I can now add this Chicken Tetrazzini to my list of family favorites!
Last weekend when I put this recipe together, my first thought in tasting it was that it was just a little bland. After adding the last bit of Parmesan and toasted almonds on top, I had changed my mind! That extra big of favor and crunch made all the difference. All my family gave it a “thumbs up” and scarfed it down with just a tiny serving left for the next day! Family winner!
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (8-oz.) package spaghetti
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese (fresh is absolutely the way to go)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cups alfredo sauce
- 1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained (I used fresh)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped, sliced or slivered
Sauté ham in hot vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Prepare pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, stir together chicken, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and next 6 ingredients.
Stir in ham, pasta, and peas.
Spoon mixture into a lightly greased baking dish.
Sprinkle with almonds and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
Adapted from : Southern Living